Re: [LAD] linux audio standards base?

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 11 2009 - 02:54:45 EEST

On 08/11/2009 08:59 AM, Nick Copeland wrote:
> The following is all opinion which I think is what was requested:
>
> > Here's an updated list of the possible official recommendations for
> discussion:
>
> We should not really be recommending anything and 'official' makes it
> sound rather orchestrated. We should be selling the benefits of the
> solution. If any attempt is made to mandate then we are going to run
> into reasonable resistance from both the apps and platform to any
> change as what is being proposed here increases compexity and
> abstraction of the audio interface which in anybodies book is a bad thing.

Ok, so from what you are saying there is nothing particularly wrong that
the recommendations below would solve for a large enough number of
people as to make it worth suggesting any of them at all? I don't think
that I need to justify why the recommendations are offered but if they
are really not to be considered necessary then that is a different story.

The list below is simply attempting to solve as elegantly as possible
the real usability issues that currently crop up for a "normal" user
experience on 64 bit with the additional suggestion for the kernel
config as people were wondering how to get extended memory on a 32 bit
platform. I'm not sure if that last one is relevant myself but it was
suggested so it's on the list of suggestions to be considered.

Here's an additional possible recommendation that occurred to me last night.

- If using skype consider purchasing a usb phone and using that as the
audio interface instead of relying on the onboard sound device as it
will probably make your life easier.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd