Re: [LAD] Lv2 port replication [was Re: the role of lv2 extensions]

From: David Robillard <dave@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 14 2009 - 02:37:46 EEST

On Thu, 2009-08-13 at 21:25 +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> On 13 Aug 2009, at 18:10, David Robillard wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2009-08-13 at 10:08 +0100, james morris wrote:
> >> I was trying to point to the question of: Why base the replication
> >> of a
> >> control port on the replication of the audio ports? The audio port
> >> replication is based on the number of channels, so base the
> >> replication
> >> of the control port (if it is to be replicated) on that also.
> >
> > ... the audio port replication IS the "number of channels".
> >
> >> So we have two new port properties: one to say this port should
> >> always be
> >> replicated - audio ports would use this - and another to say that
> >> this
> >> port can be replicated but does not have to be. The matching of
> >> counts
> >> is implied because there's no sane reason why port replication counts
> >> would not match.
> >
> > You are (falsely) assuming the replication is the same across the
> > entire
> > plugin. i.e. there is no global "number of channels" value
>
> Ah. I see.
>
> I thought that the proposal for that the number of channels in each
> port would be 1 or N.

Well, it could be, but that seems sure to be limiting in the future. It
also seems to be not really feasible, short of being a joke useful for
only the most trivial of plugins:

> In that case, I object to the proposal on the basis of over
> complexity, and trying to solve a problem we don't actually have.

... Yeah, let's make it crap on purpose because of (supposed) "over
complexity", then we can make another incompatible extension in the
future to solve the exact same problem, and all the FUD spewing fools
will be right, great plan :P

We have port groups. It's simple and natural to specify the replication
of them. Who says every single port on the plugin replicates equally?
How is that even reasonable in the face of plugins with any number of
ports, of any type? Even if you don't consider multi-strips-of-channel
things, what if you have e.g. stereo ins and outs and a few CV ports?
Do MIDI ports replicate? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

The supposedly not "over complex" way of trying to do it globally is not
really much simpler, and crappy to boot. You end up having to specify
whether or not every single port replicates anyway.

Making a replication extension that can do anything we need (and will
need) is not that hard, or over complex. If I wanted to deal with a
limited piece of crap designed with no foresight, I'd stick with
LADSPA ;)

-dr