Re: [LAD] Lv2 port replication [for dummies]

From: David Robillard <dave@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 14 2009 - 02:48:39 EEST

On Thu, 2009-08-13 at 21:27 +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> On 13 Aug 2009, at 20:01, David Robillard wrote:
> >> I'm assuming the only ports to be replicated are those which have
> >> say a
> >> multiPort property. I don't see why replication would not be the same
> >> in a plugin instance, across all ports with that property.
> >
> > Because larger plugins can have several completely different signal
> > paths. Synthesis and effects, or several channels on a mixer, or...
>
> That, IMHO, is a different problem space.

Replicating ports is a different problem space than replication ports?
If we end up with a bunch of different little half-assed extensions for
the same thing, then the extension FUD is right.

If there are real, actual, concrete reasons why doing something is very
complex and probably not useful, that's another story, but I don't think
that's the case here.

> Several channels on a mixer should be doable with the 1/N channels
> restriction.

A mixer usually has several 'strips', each of which may have different
counts. Like the ardour mixer, for example. This is a simple,
realistic, and useful case where simply having a single global value
doesn't cut it. The same goes for virtually anything with several
signal paths.

-dr