[LAD] GTK+ vs QT for new Open Source Project- Resend With Links Corrected

From: Ken Dawber <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 14 2009 - 07:13:50 EEST

I have a very similar question to the previous 'FLTK vs GTKmm' question.

I'm trying to start up a new Open Source Project. This project assumes
use of high end audio cards along with creation, processing and
recording of audio frequency PCM data that is being transmitted and
received from the audio card(s). Development is expected to be in a
Linux environment.

Seems like many audio applications and I expect and hope that it can use
many already created audio software modules but the application isn't a
normal audio application. The objective is to create a Software
Oriented Metal Detector suitable for Humanitarian Demining. Full
information can be found at

   http://humanise.org

The audio frequency PCM data is not actual audio but rather the
generation of the coil transmit frequency and the reception, processing
and storage of the metal detectors receive coil data.

To start such an Open Source Project requires standardizing on standards
for the modules and the proposed standards have the project being based
on GStreamer modules. One of the most difficult questions in coming to
the current proposed standards was whether to use GTK+ or QT. There
was a lot more related audio software using GTK+ but this appeared to be
due to previous licensing problems that have now been fixed.

The current proposed standards for this project and discussion on this
can be found at

  http://humanise.org/demining/software

You will also find a brief analysis of most Linux open source audio
software at http://humanise.org/demining/software-base. This separates
the software to those using GTK+ vs those that use QT.

You will also find analysis of standards suitable for basing the modules
on at http://humanise.org/demining/streaming-options
along with analysis of tools and environments at
http://humanise.org/demining/environment-options and
http://humanise.org/demining/ide

I don't consider myself to be either a Linux/Unix Guru or an Audio
software Guru so the initial design of this is very much a learn as I go
along. I would now like to get some input on all of this from people
who have more knowledge in these areas.

Comments including constructive criticism welcome either through this
mailing list or, better still, on the Humanise.org website.

Thanks
   Ken Dawber