Re: [LAD] [LAU] [ANN] LADI Session Handler - Preview 1

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden-hochschule.de>
Date: Tue Sep 01 2009 - 17:33:17 EEST

Nedko Arnaudov wrote:
> Julien Claassen <julien@c-lab.de> writes:
>
>> Hello Nedko!
>> Now I've come up against a wall, which I don't want to climb.
>> It's all to do with GUI-toolkits and their relatives. Especially
>> flowcanvas. I dearly hope and plea for the feature, to optionalise the
>> GUI-parts. Flowcanvas seems to require something ese, which is
>> tedious. Because now I could go on installing ad nauseam, without
>> getting anywhere in a short while.
>> Well you might say, that I'm a special case, being blind, having no
>> graphic. But I think this might hit other people as well. People with
>> other main-GUI-toolkits or other commandline friends, and there are
>> some.
>> I'd be glad to know, if you're so far along on your way, that you
>> seperated the GUI parts from the real thing.
>> Kindest regards
>> Julien
>
> GUI (gladish) and the real thing (ladishd) are really separated. Later
> today I'll try to modify the waf build script to support GUI-less
> build. Here is a ticket for you: http://ladish.org/ticket/10

cool. nedko, not intending to rehash the dbus carnage of yore, but:
for a headless system without a user logged in via some graphical
desktop, what is needed to be able to run LADI?

i for one would be interested in having a rudimentary start script that
gets all the $FOOkits and dbus-$GIZMOs in place so that LADIsh can work.
even if few people will use it on headless systems, it would be very
instructive and show how different system services work together.

best,

jörn