Re: [LAD] [LAU] [ANN] LADI Session Handler - Preview 1

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 02 2009 - 01:50:47 EEST

On 09/02/2009 06:48 AM, Florent Berthaut wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> i'm happy to learn about this new direction for lash. It looks really
> promising.
> The goal: "collaborate with x11 wm ..." reminded of an idea i had this
> summer during the RMLL ("rencontres mondiales du logiciel libre") while
> talking with musicians of the windows world.
> They told me that they liked the gnu approach ("one application for one
> task"), that it was great to be able to change a part of the workflow
> independently. They also obvioulsy liked the idea of lash, being able to
> save and recall a session.
>
> But what they worried about (especially ableton live users) was the fact
> that a great number of windows could become complicated to handle
> compared to single window applications as live.
>
> So the idea of remembering the windows positions is a good point but i
> think another interesting point would be to have an application that
> grabs all the music applications' windows and tiles them automatically
> (of course with the possibilities of resizing and moving each tile)
> So when you restore a session all the windows are accessible at once.
> This would be a sort of musical window manager and would allow to
> combine the advantage of a single window application with the advantages
> of multiple interconnected applications.
>
> Perhaps it already exists, if it does please let me know ;)

I have had this idea for a while and your diea would compliment it very
well.

Basically the window manager should provide a hook for the app to have a
jack port on the title bar. This would then allow the window manager to
control teh layout and location of all apps with a jack port.
Alternatively it could also use ladish to provide the wrapper to all the
ladish/jack apps.

I know it is early days since Nedko just released his updates to the
system but I think we have an opportunity to provide this integration
from a window management perspective. In my mind it is a logical and
inevitable feature that will give desktop users a game like graphical
management option they can play with and get excited about.

Cheers.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd