Re: [LAD] [LAU] [ANN] LADI Session Handler - Preview 1

From: Ray Rashif <schivmeister@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 02 2009 - 22:07:30 EEST

2009/9/3 <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>

> I'm using a WM (called awesome) that can do tiling for everyday tasks as
> well as audio. Since I have a rather small screen I use it mostly to get
> every app fullscreen. When trying to use it for audio I ran in some
> trouble. Applications like ardour require a lot of screen estate, on my
> screen it hardly fits on the screen. Many other apps have a similar
> minimum size that is simply not handled gracefully, at least by this WM.
> Another problem is with applications that don't resize at all or that
> apparently can't be handled in tiling mode. One such example is jkmeter.
>
> So from my experience with awesome I'd say that it's theoretically a
> nice idea but doesn't quite work that way. When you look at the
> screenshots at tiling WM homepages you see mostly terminals, probably
> for a reason. Maybe other WMs work better, but from my experience I'd
> say that a WM that remembers window positions or where you could
> specify them would probably work better, but I still have to explore
> if that's possible with my WM.

Yes, exactly my thoughts. Tiling WM is simply not a solution as some apps,
Ardour primarily, actually _need_ all the space it can get. Not all of us
have > 19" or dual monitors even when it's the age of HD and Blue Ray. In
fact, as things go mobile and portable more, the less screen space is
favoured.

KDE has the potential to provide this 100%, but it needs to smoothen up its
cosmetics against usability since wihout compositing (which is a major
penalty for Intel graphics) it looks worse than my LXDE environment.