Re: [LAD] [LAU] [ANN] LADI Session Handler - Preview 1

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 03 2009 - 04:32:26 EEST

On 09/03/2009 11:27 AM, michael noble wrote:
> If I'm understanding the latter half of this thread correctly it is
> exactly what I've been wanting in a window manager for a gnu/linux
> based daw for a long time - a visual patching based desktop and window
> manager.
>
> Zoom out and you get a patchage like overview of all windows between
> which you can make connections. You can then zoom into each app object
> to whichever degree you wish using some combination of modifier key
> and mouse wheel over the object, make application adjustments and then
> zoom back out to the overall canvas. I think we inherited the desktop
> approach from graphical design, where the notion of bounded workspaces
> makes more sense. I'd rather my desktop were an unbounded extended
> "canvas" of inter-patchable windows with something like LADIsh and
> JACK underpinning session interconnection and management.
>
> But who has the resources to pull something like that off?

This zoom in/out functionality already exists in KDE and is also a part
of the apple desktop.

We don't currently have a wm or desktop environemtn that communicates
with jack.

I'm am very interested in seeing this happen and I think it can be tied
into the lash/ladish system too.

Cheers

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd