Re: [LAD] "Open midi-keyboard"

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 26 2009 - 16:05:22 EEST

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 02:20:50PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>
>> I'd be much interested *iff* it would also generate
>> velocity for key release. This is provided in the MIDI
>> format but very few keyboars implement it.
>
> For release velocity it's the same as for poly pressure, I don't know any
> keyboard providing this. The only unusual function provided by a keyboard I
> know is breath control. My Yamaha DX7 supports breath control.
>
> I don't think hat there will be a lot of receiving devices that can handle
> release velocity and poly pressure.

Soft synths can be made do to whatever you want :-)
Release velocity adds a new expression possibility
that could be interesting in particular for monophonic
synths. And I'm contemplating writing one...

> A nice feature I can imagine might be to have only 3 or 4 fix velocities
> for each key (maybe this can be done by the "Custom velocity curves") and a
> fix note length (for this the keyboard needs to receive timing information
> by a sequencer), but both, velocity and length for each key individually
> and maybe the length should be set individually by the velocity of a note.
> Why? E.g. to control drum samples.
> For this it also might be interesting to have the option
> to split the keyboard not only in zones, but to enable to
> give each key a wanted, individual MIDI channel.

All of this can be done in software - it's modification
and reduction of existing data rather than ensuring its
availability.

Another useful feature (already mentioned by another poster)
would be a number of digital rotary encoders, and if you have
any spare AD channels, analog control inputs.

About afterpressure, my SL880 only has this for the
entire keyboard, not per key. It uses a pressure
sensor strip running along the entire length, and
is quite difficult to use as it is. Don't know if
this is due to the sensor being too primitive, or
to the processing in the SL880's tiny controller.

Ciao,

--
FA
Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.