Re: [LAD] Re : Saving plugin presets

From: Stefan Kost <ensonic@email-addr-hidden-obscura.de>
Date: Sat Oct 10 2009 - 22:10:33 EEST

Paul Davis schrieb:
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Stefan Kost <ensonic@email-addr-hidden-obscura.de> wrote:
>> Paul Davis schrieb:
>>> correct. none of them come with presets in this format. a few have a
>>> different kind of "builtin preset" (i.e. a parameter that changes all
>>> other parameters).
>>>
>> Thanks for the confirmation. Its thats quite sad. It would be nice if
>> people send their presets to the plugin authors and they merge them and
>> ship them with future updates.
>
> yes, and then we'd be one step ahead of apple. i just discovered (and
> fixed) an issue this morning with Ardour's AU support on OS X because
> apple considers "factory presets" to be an entirely different beast
> than "user presets", and uses a different API for interacting with
> them. It wasn't *that* hard to fix, but it was annoying. the idea that
> all presets are the "same kind of thing" is quite attractive.

One thing that we need to figure is how to handle them. Presets shipped with the
plugins (regardless of ladspa or lv2) should go to $prefix/share/... (e.g.
/usr/share/ladspa/presets). Idealy it would use the same basename as the so uses.

Application need to be prepared to read presets from there, but store (and read)
them in the users home directory. For merging I would suggest to read the system
wide presets and then read the user-presets - in case of a double entry the
user-preset wins.
Ardour stores them under $HOME/.ladspa/ardour.n3, that could be a bit
problematic if other apps want to use them too. Using separate n3 files for each
plugin and ev. even require to use flock on them would help to avoid conflicts
(yes I know the limits of flock, but is there anything better?).

I would prefer if the location is in sync with the freedesktop user-dir spec also.

Stefan