Re: [LAD] jackd api change, fluidsynth, etc.

From: Jack O'Quin <jack.oquin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 11 2009 - 18:11:59 EEST

http://jackaudio.org/files/docs/html/group__ClientFunctions.html#g705aa8159e65464dc7e9cf65fc451b90

>> In the new jack API the function jack_client_new ist deprecated.
>> Actually it's not only deprecated:
>> Apps using it don't play any sound,
>> as I've experienced with alsaplayer, and fluidsynth for example.
>>

>> I'm thus inviting
>>
>> 1. to change all apps which still use jack_client_new to use this instead:
>>
>> //jack_client_t*
>> jclient = jack_client_open( name,     //jack_options_t
>>                JackNullOption,              //jack_status_t * status
>>                NULL
>>                );
>>

>> 2. to make the new jackd work with jack_client_new for some time
>> still, until most apps have adjusted their code

jack_client_new() has been deprecated for about 6 years now, if I
recall correctly. It has still been supported all that time. As far
as I know, it is still supported. If it's not working for someone,
they should report it as a bug.

*But!* Something needs to be done to overcome the inertia of all
those old JACK clients. At the very least, jack_client_new() should
probably start printing some very ugly user message, warning that the
interface is deprecated and may go away some day soon. Either that,
or declare that it's not deprecated after all.

--
 joq