Re: [LAD] jackd api change, fluidsynth, etc.

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 11 2009 - 20:07:01 EEST

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 05:07:38PM +0100, victor wrote:
> ====================
> The minimal solution is quite simple - just use an
> empty options argument. But while you're there you
> (I mean all developers of jackified apps) should
> IMNSHO add the option for the user to set the
> application's name as a Jack client.
>
> And of course read the actual name used after having
> called jack_client_open() and use that for window
> captions etc.
> ===============================

> Do you mean JackLoadName?

My remark was 'to all developers of jackified apps',
not particular to csound which already has the option,
('jack_client' IIRC).

But depending on how the name is used, you may have
to do one of two things:

1. Use the option 'JackUseExactName', which makes
jack_client_open() fail if the name is not unique
instead of creating a modified one, or

2. Read the actual name using jack_get_client_name(),
after jack_client_open().

Without one of these, the actual name may not be
the one you think is being used. It does matter
in some cases, e.g. to apps that save Jack
connections (e.g. Ardour), and to session managers.

Ciao,

--
FA
Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.