Re: [LAD] (Somewhat OT) Advice needed on distro choice

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 12 2009 - 20:14:01 EEST

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 07:30:27PM +0100, Chris Cannam wrote:

> Sounds like Arch is worth a look.

First of all (a late) thanks to all who responded.

Today I installed ArchLinux on a spare box, and it
went very well. It took me around 1/3 of the time
(compared to a previous F11 install) to get the
machine how I wanted it. I just had to adapt to
having to install things I wanted rather than
having to remove or modify those I didn't want.
From power-on to the XDM login takes just 24s,
and the hard disk footprint is a fraction of what
I'm used to.

There's only only problem I've not been able to fix:
when using apps that frequently update pixmaps or
send Ximages, the mouse pointer gets corrupted with
that data. It happens with Ardour, jkmeter, japa,
and others. No idea where to start... Driver is
the 'ati' module, probably it needs some parameters.

Ciao,

--
FA
Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.