Re: [LAD] State of Plugin API's

From: Gabriel M. Beddingfield <gabriel@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 01 2009 - 19:51:05 EET

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009, David Robillard wrote:

> But nobody needed to define MIDI+MMC and MIDI+MTC and MIDI+MMC1 and MIDI
> +MMC2 and MIDI+MMC1+MTC and MIDI+MMC2+MTC and ... for people to make
> sense of the whole thing, did they? :)

Yes and No. Manufacturers are required to publish their MIDI
Implementation so that the person buying the device would know what types
of MIDI messages the device sends and responds to. This includes the
summarized table and the down-to-each-sysex-bit documentation. If you
know you want an MMC-capable device, you know to look here.

If you don't want to do LV2-EXtremeMakeover-HomeEdition or LV2-El33t, then
perhaps a concise table with a standardized format might work better for
you.

Or even a just a standardized way of saying it. Something more clear and
concise than "Foomatic-LV2 depends on the URI Map extension and the MIDI
Ports extension [exactly /who/ is supposed to supply these?]. And, oh
yeah, we forgot to tell you about the dynparam extension... but I'm sure
you'll figure that out when things don't work."

-gabriel