Re: [LAD] [semi-OT] midi snakes using CAT5?

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 01 2009 - 20:55:14 EET

On Sunday 01 November 2009 19:23:27 you wrote:
> Arnold Krille wrote:
> > Why do you want to carry 5V? According to my docs, Midi is just Signal+
> > and Signal- and shield. Which, when carried over Cat5, should be all on
> > the shield.
> any midi has to carry 5v iirc. and midi is not balanced, so there is no
> signal+ and signal-. would be cool if there was - then 100m would be no
> problem :)

Actually midi seems to be something that drives an led inside the opto-
coupler. So it doesn't matter if that signal is 5V to ground or 2.5V to -2.5V.
As long as the two "signals" are not connected to anything besides the opto-
coupler in the receiving device, all is well.
The book on my desk with electronic-nifties for studios labels the two pins
used by midi as signal+ and signal-...

Have fun,

Arnold