Re: [LAD] [Maybe OT] Linux Audio Apps Clasification

From: Raymond Martin <laseray@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 04 2009 - 07:32:44 EET

On November 3, 2009 01:22:30 pm Daniel Vidal wrote:
> Hi
>
> I think this post is [OT] but also i think is the apropiate audience...
>
> I'am now working on making personalized menus for Musix distro. I try to
> do this task using the freedesktop rules, using .desktop files and the
> "Categories" field. This is a real problem. All audio Apps put "AudioVideo"
> tag... and all apps apear together on a single menu option... Mixers merged
> with synths... with DAWs... with virtual keyboards... Well... when the user
> chooses the "multimedia" option of system menu... the submenu have three
> columns of apps... Only a little set of apps put more specific tag like
> "Midi" or "Synthesis"...
>
> This behavoir can be modified using more "Categories" tags describing
> more closely the app... But this cant be done without the agreement of
> linux apps developers about a clasification...
>
> I can make a proposal to add some tags?

[snip]

I can see where you are coming from. The Sound & Video menu on my desktop
(E17) is a mess. Categorizing these better would be nice, but I just cannot
see how you will find a way to break it up that most people will agree with.
For instance, I do not necessarily agree with the categories you suggest,
seems like too many IMO.

I would suggest either using very broad categories (max of 3, 4, for example)
or leaving it alone altogether. Even the other non-audio related menus are
questionable across different desktops. An end user can always edit them
if it bothers them that much.

Raymond