Re: [LAD] [Maybe OT] Linux Audio Apps Clasification

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Nov 06 2009 - 13:45:43 EET

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
> On Friday, November 6, 2009, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> It's the only mail I read of this thread, but sorry, anyway I need to
>> reply, because the standards of freedesktop very often cause trouble on
>> my machines, e.g. when using GNOME and KDE and editing the menus, e.g.
>> by using Alacarte.
>>

> My recommendations for you and the OP are similar: if you have some valuable
> proposal or good ideas to solve real problems for everybody, please push your
> proposals to freedesktop.org so they can be applied to the broader audience.

As I mentioned before:
> It would be much more comfortable if each WM/DE would use it's own
> files. Btw. I guess most Linux audio users will start most
> applications by using a terminal instead of a menu.

While the package manager will install an application, it could ask for
the wanted menu entry. When I made reports because of problems with
freedesktop standards, when using e17 and GNOME, I got a reply that
people should use e17 only and not e17 and GNOME. If I don't want to
have conflicts because of freedesktop standards when using e17 and
GNOME, I should pay somebody to solve this.

So again, my good idea is that all desktops have their own files, thus a
user will be able to customize the menus, desktop etc. without having
trouble.