Re: [LAD] How to develop guis for LV2?

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 08 2009 - 07:04:30 EET

On 11/08/2009 03:31 PM, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Nov 2009, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>> Would a set of reference template code written for the various languages
>> that we have at our disposal be of any use here?
>
> I don't think so. ATM, there's plenty of high-quality reference
> code... especially with Lars's tutorial. This is a different issue.

Is it just me that feels that the existing examples are too obscure and
set the entry level too high for the average developer as well as miss
out important use cases specific to different languages?

On another tangent is LV2 supposed to be a new standard and therefore
provide an accessible documentation codebase for all potential users or
is LV2 designed as a theoretical system which only advanced developers
are given insight into and the rest have to fend for themselves.

>> It's clear that we need to better define the plugin publishing and
>> dependency system for LV2?
>
> Not quite (though that would be a Good Thing).

What you have written below could also be considered a definition of a
set of rules for publishing and specifying dependencies. However it
doesn't completely address the dependency issue. Even if this standard
was followed how would we define the categories such as "LV2 Synth
Plugin"? Is that something that would be handled as someone else has
suggested on a yearly basis by a committee?