Re: [LAD] How to develop guis for LV2?

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 08 2009 - 14:55:09 EET

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 7:50 AM, Emanuel Rumpf <xbran@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> 2009/11/8 Jeff McClintock <jef@email-addr-hidden>:

> FLOSS poeple - let's rather ignore GMPI as long as we can.

I don't recall you being involved in the GMPI process. I was, and so
was Jeff (and others include Steve Harris).

The final outcome of the organized attempt to define and implement
GMPI was not terribly satisfactory, but that was partly because the
people who put the most time into the process (including Jeff) were
unhappy about MMA's attempt to control the rest of the process.

Imagining that GMPI was some kind of corporate shill attempt at a
plugin standard is completely wrong. It was designed by FLOSS-friendly
developers, with the intent on their part that it would remain that
way. The fact that the MMA wasn't willing to play ball with that idea
was what helped kill it - we had actually reached a final
specification. the MMA does not own that spec.

Jeff has continued to refine it via experience .. that doesn't
necessarily mean that its a viable plugin API at this point, but you
could at least be a bit more informed about its history before
denouncing as non-FLOSS-ish ...