Re: [LAD] How to develop guis for LV2?

From: David Robillard <dave@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 08 2009 - 18:06:25 EET

On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 14:00 +0200, Nedko Arnaudov wrote:
> Here is what should be (IMO) with current extension list (as i know it):
>
> "Gabriel M. Beddingfield" <gabriel@email-addr-hidden> writes:
> > + Support (at least) extensions A, B, and C.
>
> * the MIDI event extension
> * the Event port extension
> * the URI map extension
> * the external UI extension
>
> GTK hosts must support the GTK UI extension

To clarify, since this could be misleading: the UI extension is not a
Gtk UI extension, it can work with any toolkit or other form of UI,
including 'external' ones.

> Current problems with the UI extension (both gtk and external variants):
> * there is no easy way for UI to know the sample rate
> * it is incompatible with lv2core revision 3

These can both be fixed without breaking backwards compatibility by
passing features to the UI.

I said the last time something came up with the UI init function that
things should just be passed as features instead of breaking the thing
every time we feel like adding a parameter for "convenience". That time
has certainly come now.

> If new UI extension is designed, it should probably use event
> ports.

It should be completely port type agnostic, as it is now.

-dr