Re: [LAD] How to develop guis for LV2?

From: David Robillard <dave@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 08 2009 - 23:22:13 EET

On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 20:36 +0000, Chris Cannam wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 8:28 PM, David Robillard <dave@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 20:23 +0000, Chris Cannam wrote:
> >> Hm, I think you may have the wrong tense. I think the one basic
> >> question that users will have is: Why doesn't this plugin work?
> >
> > This is a problem that hosts (can, and) should express to the user in
> > clear terms.
>
> Yes, that's what I meant. I was fishing for ideas for how a host
> might do this without being a complete pain in the arse for the user.

Yeah, not displaying plugins at all is less than good.

It really depends on context, but something alone the lines of showing
all the plugins, but with unsupported ones grayed out with a little info
icon you can click for the reasoning why, would be best. A user option
could turn this off to make unsuitable plugins not be in the way and
shrink the list.

In menus it's a bit more complicated. I suppose clicking on an
unsupported plugin (that should be visually flagged in some way) can
bring up the 'why' info.

-dr