Re: [LAD] Just an information for the coders of Rosegarden and Open Octave

From: <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 09 2009 - 18:43:12 EET

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 16:47:07 +0100
<hollunder@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 16:40:41 +0100
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net> wrote:
>
> > Emanuel Rumpf wrote:
> > > Opening the hr-timer with rosegarden freezes my whole system here,
> > > what could cause that ?
> > >

> > I guess Open Octave is based on Rosegarden. While Qtractor is fine
> > with HR timer on my system, Open Octave freezes my system too. I
> > only was able to push reset, resp. I didn't try magic keys.
>
> Hmmm, I only find system-timer in either application.
> I recently found a line in dmesg that hpet wasn't enabled and I could
> try the boot option hpet=force.
> After doing this I have a /dev/hpet entry but still, only system, no
> rt or hpet in either app.
>
> Also no freezes tough ;)

Ralf helped me a bit further off-list.
It seems I needed to modprobe snd-hrtimer
Now oom pretty much freezes as well when I tell it to use that,
qtractor doesn't complain, at least not immediately, couldn't try
further yet.

Kernel is 2.6.31.4-rt14

Haven't tried this yet since I'm not sure it makes sense:
chgrp audio /dev/hpet

So even when hpet is available, hrtimer is the one to use?