Re: [LAD] adding session notifications to jack

From: torbenh <torbenh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Nov 21 2009 - 23:50:22 EET

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 09:33:06PM +0000, Harry Van Haaren wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Also liking the simplicity, and I think it might be a nice feature to keep
> the possiblity to save:
> * the studio
> * the room
> * the project
>
> Perhaps the user could "tagg" each app as what function it has/what its
> being used for,
> and then allow the saving of all apps with the same "tagg" to a file, for
> re-use?
>
> EG:
> -name- -tag-
> Qsynth piano
> JackRack piano (well, its reverb really)
> calf piano ( compressor)
>
> and then save tagg piano, and you can reload the same programs?
>
> It does substantially add to complexity I'm aware, but I like the concept of
> being able to save subsets of programs and reload them seperatly from the
> exact project that they were created in.
> It seems a really usefuly feature, get a brilliant piano sound, double click
> the file, and your done & playing!
>
> Thats looking from a users point of view. I appreciate that including these
> features in JACK might not be the way to go, as its not "core" jack
> functionality.
>
> Thought I'd share this idea.. Cheers -Harry

the current implementation is not able to merge sessions.
the uuid values used for identifying the apps to connect them up again,
are maintaned by the applications. and for this feature to work, the
sessionmanager would need to be able to change them while the session is
still stored.

we have some options but these clobber the simplicity a bit.
iE we could mandate that the uuid is a commandline argument.

how we can solve this is up for discussion.

--
torben Hohn