Re: [LAD] adding session notifications to jack

From: torbenh <torbenh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 22 2009 - 02:46:05 EET

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 07:30:02PM -0500, David Robillard wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-11-21 at 19:03 -0500, David Robillard wrote:
> > Ah. Maybe not very portable?

well... commandline parameters are not totally portable, thats true.
thats why i basically avoid to say that its commandline parameters.
on windows or osx, it might be something different.

also i dont have a restore callback.
hmm... you proposed one int other mail i guess...

> > It seems sort of redundant to have restoring via command line when we
> > already have a restore callback that does that anyway. What if instead
> > we give a unique ID to the application itself only(*). Then, before
> > calling jack_client_open, the client must call
> > jack_client_set_id(myappid) so Jack (and/or the session manager) knows
> > what it is. The session manager can then restore it via the usual
> > callbacks. Then app authors only need to implement restore once, in the
> > callback, and don't have to deal with command line stuff at all (which
> > can be pretty annoying in some cases). I suppose this requires that the
> > command line arguments of the app are basically irrelevant though, but
> > the appp could save those same settings to the save directory too...

err... which app doesnt support loading a statefile when being started
via commandline ?

i also think that the restore event only makes things more complex.

> > Just a thought, trying to make it simpler and purely API based.
>
> On second thought, I see the utility of command line stuff, though maybe
> it should be sent as argc and argv for more portability and less
> nuisance for apps that just want to pass them straight through? (no need
> to assemble an actual command line string, which is both annoying and
> not portable)

on windows you only have an args string.
however i dont see what an app which cant save its state. (iE
jack_netsource, should do ?)

snprintfing some commandline string shouldnt be a problem at all.
i dont see why this should be so complicated.

--
torben Hohn
http://galan.sourceforge.net -- The graphical Audio language