Re: [LAD] LADI

From: Nedko Arnaudov <nedko@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 22 2009 - 14:53:22 EET

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net> writes:

> I don't know what exactly it can handle. Which apps can be handled by
> LADI? What needs to be set up for the apps? In other words, will it
> really handle a session or just some points of a session? I once tested
> LASH and it wasn't able to handle anything I need. Without much
> knowledge about writing shell scripts, I'm able to launch wanted apps
> and restore connections, not the perfect way I would like to have, e.g.
> because I still need to place the windows, but without trouble, while
> e.g LASH does not do this this job, maybe because I missed to google for
> hours to learn the basics about LASH.

Currently it is not yet able to manage sessions at all. What it can is
everything else (from the list i've mentioned) except the port
virtualization stuff that I plan to implement in ladish. It will be able
to relaunch apps, and connect their ports. It will (and already is) able
to do some other related stuff.

> Are there packages or do I have to compile it by solving a dependency hell?

I guess, this depends on the distro you use. I recently suitched to
gentoo and I made ebuilds for it. In past I've contributed jack2,
laditools and lash-0.6.x deb packages to ubuntustudio team.

> How will it handle a session when some audio apps tend to crash on my
> machine? Will this cause trouble for LADI? Is LADI some kind of program
> that will run during the session or will it just run similar to a shell
> script just to launch and restore a set up, resp. just when saving a set
> up? When using a session handler, will it be possible that an app that
> normally is stable, become unstable?

It will handle them nicely. It will display notification that app crash
was detected and will ask you whether to relaunch it, unless you want it
never or always to do so (user configurable option). When relaunched
jack ports associated with the application will get reconnected and its
internal state will get restored (given that app has internal state and
supports restoration of internal state). Internal state and connections
will be restored from the last saved snapshot.

> I'm willing to give LADI a chance and try to add it to my 64 Studio
> 3.0-beta3 x86_64 and openSUSE 11.2 x86_64.
> I'm willing to spend some hours to google and read about LADI.
>
> *But*
>
> I'm not willing to troubleshoot any problems, if it would make handling
> my sessions more difficult, than it would be without "a", resp. "this"
> session handler.
>
> I guess I can try to add LADI this week to my Linux installs :).

LADI is still not able to do session management. ladish can do jack
multiconfig however. laditools allow you quite a lot of things regarding
JACK monitoring and management. Currently LADI is [mostly] tested by me
only. If you are affraid of being early adopter, you should probably not
do test it until contributions of other early adopters make it more
suitable for you.

--
Nedko Arnaudov <GnuPG KeyID: DE1716B0>