Re: [LAD] [LAU] Update of jconv

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 02 2009 - 14:09:07 EET

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 5:16 AM, Stéphane Letz <letz@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> So does this mean than going into freewheeling should be handled in a special way:  like dropping RT mode for additional worker threads and so on (then when freewheeling stops, you would have to setup RT mode again...)

it does imply that, yes.

> An quite interesting use case. I also always wondering how Ardour (using an additional thread for disk access) handles freewheeling on/off, regarding thread management.

ardour's disk i/o thread ("the butler") doesn't run with RT scheduling, ever.
there is a MIDI I/O thread (at least in 2.X) that tries to run with
low RT priority (it doesn't care if it doesn't get it). i haven't come
up with a reason yet to want to reset the scheduling of this thread.

> We could even imagine that JACK could provide some support for this kind of requirement : allowing to define additional worker threads, automatically handling priority change when  freewheeling on/off....

i think we offer enough already by offering functions to
acquire+release RT scheduling. unless we don't export them ... i doubt
if applications with such architectures want JACK itself to try to
micromanage this level of detail. they already have to make their own
decisions about thread priorities.