Re: [LAD] Anyone have experience with OSS (3 or 4)?

From: Kjetil S. Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 17 2009 - 19:26:07 EET

Lennart Poettering:
>> by itself plus providing low-latency performance (with mixing) when
>> that is required. Leaving out mixing to third-parties, plus exposing
>> a very complicated low-level API and a complicated
>> plugin/configuration system (which probably has taken a more time to
>> develop than implementing a proper mixing engine), has created lots
>> of chaos.
>
> You cannot blame the ALSA folks that they didn't supply you a full
> audio stack from top to bottom from day one with the limited amount of
> manpower available. Just accept that their are different layers in the
> stack and that different projects need to tackle them. And in the end
> it doesn't matter which part of the stack has what name and is written
> by whom.

Please read what I wrote one more time. I pointed out a very low-level
API, no mixing, and a complicated configuration system. This
causes software (programmed against ALSA) very often to be buggy, or
simply not run because alsa doesn't do mixing. I'm certainly not
blaming the ALSA foks for not doing enough work, (quite the
opposite), but instead I'm pointing out some design desicions
which I think have been quite disastrous. (As far as I know, mixing
for all devices has never been on any TODO list in ALSA because
they think it's wrong)