Re: [LAD] LADI

From: alex stone <compose59@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 22 2009 - 16:09:15 EET

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Gabriel M. Beddingfield
<gabriel@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Dec 2009, alex stone wrote:
>
>> the sampler data, i.e. "when this session is opened, load this patch"
>> is saved, only.
>
> This is what I called a "handle," and this is fine (but not great)... when
> the user tries to move the session to another computer, the session will not
> be able to load properly because it will be missing stuff.

This is the case with any OS, and was my experience with win and mac
over many years. If you have a session with 3 synths, and you transfer
the session to another computer with only 2 of those synths, you
usually got some sort of message that read:

"Warning, this project may not play back correctly, as the following
synths are missing, blah blah blah......"

The session still loads, but you're aware that it may not play back as
you expect.

> And I can be OK with that... as long as it's in the specs that it should
> work this way.
>
> But at the moment, it's not well defined what is part of the "state,"[1] nor
> what should (and should not) be saved in a "jacksession" directory, nor what
> can be expected WRT portability.

But it was defined. A file that showed the saved state of each app
present in the session, and a list of all connections that were
current at the time the session was saved. Couldn't be simpler.

> -gabriel
>
> [1] For example, is window size part of the state?  What
>    about window placement?  Minimize/maximize?  Do we get
>    this info from the window manager or from the
>    application?  Which data is considered an
>    installed, persistent resource (like a
>    Hydrogen drum kit) and which is considered "session
>    data"?

Again, this is self-evident. If Hydrogen is saved with a particular
kit loaded, then when the session is reopened, that kit is loaded.

And i'm not sure what you do for window size, etc, but in my workflow,
i have apps opening, and default sized, into designated workspaces, so
no matter where the app is opened from, i.e., "Sequencer" opens in the
"Sequencer" workspace. Linux Window Manager Feature no.1, on a list of
many....

It's been my experience that whatever size window is last designated
when an app is saved and closed, is the size it opens to next time. If
this isn't the case with some apps, then surely this is down to the
application developer to code as a default behaviour, and not the role
of a session manager.

I would think, given the feature set we have in Linux, including
multiple workspaces, and the ability to allocate an app to a defined
workspace, and/or size, that this would be a cause for user session
nirvana, and i only know of gnome, where allocating an app to a
workspace isn't possible. (Has this changed?)

Alex.

--
www.openoctave.org
midi-subscribe@email-addr-hidden