Re: [LAD] LADI

From: David Robillard <dave@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 22 2009 - 18:57:37 EET

On Mon, 2009-12-21 at 11:45 +0100, rosea grammostola wrote:
[...]
> @Bob Ham, David Robillard and Juuso Alasuutari,
>
> Can you describe in your own words:
>

> 1) What are the strong and weak points of LADI in your opinion and why?
>
> 2) What will be a good approach now for getting a Linux audio session
> handler in your opinion
> (taking also LASH/LADI/Jack Session and Fons ideas in account)?
>
> 3) Are you willing to contribute to an solution and how do you see this
> (own project / collaboration with other projects etc.).

If contributing to a solution involves participating in this dead-end
"discussion", which will obviously never come to consensus, then no. I
am willing to implement a solution that does not suck.

> Please try to keep it short and to the point.

Short and to the point, SIMPLE (to implement), low or no dependencies,
actually existent, portable. Interface is by a very wide margin the
most important thing.

Which of the present approaches best meets these goals should be
obvious; you tell me. I would prefer we go one further and just do a
"ladspa.h of session management" and throw away the implementation
detail crap that is the problem here entirely, but I don't really care
enough to deal with the torture of participating in threads like this.
The parties involved are obviously never going to let go of their
implementation (or imaginary hypothetical implementation, or whatever),
so there is no point in that.

I will probably end up creating something like the aforementioned header
for use in plugins anyway, though.

-dr