[LAD] Session Handlers and 'level 1' support

From: rosea grammostola <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 04 2010 - 14:03:09 EET

Hi,

I don't know who locked himself up after the 'LADI' discussion to
actually write an session handler for Linux. :) But in meantime Ladish
has added 'level 1' support:

"When ladish studio is being saved, applications that are run at level 1
receive the SIGUSR1 UNIX signal.
 In signal handler function, a global variable can be set to mark that
save is needed. On next main loop iteration, the global variable is
checked and eventually save is made.
 Save of the internal state can be made in a fixed file path, but it is
more useful to supply the file path through commandline. When starting,
app loads its internal state from the file specified. When saving, app
saves its internal state to the file specified."
http://ladish.org/wiki/level1

Ams, Jack_Mixer and calfjackhost (in progress) has already added level
1 support, and it seems to work OK (all though there are some
improvements ahead).

An advantage compared to 'LASH' or 'Ladish' support seems to be that
level 1 is pretty easy to implement by the application developers.

Now I'm wondering whether this 'level 1' could be a point of agreement
between different (potential) Session Handlers for Linux. If other
Session Handlers also adds 'level 1' support, it would make the
implementation of more then one Session Handler more easy and less
problematic for the Linux Audio world in my opinion. What do you think?

Regards,

\r