Re: [LAD] Science (OT)

From: Jane <rdxesy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 07 2010 - 21:53:12 EET

On Jan 7, 2010, at 19:41, Steve Fosdick wrote:

> Of course the rich and powerful get high on the power and get excited
> about making money but if we refuse to do what is good for the planet
> and therefore what is good for our children and grandchildren because we
> suspect the motives of those with the power to make a difference we are
> throwing the baby out with the bath water.
>
> Much of the western world is capitalist to one degree or another and it
> works because those with the money and motivation to make more money can
> do so by providing things the rest of us either need or enjoy and we are
> therefore prepared to pay for.
>
> The big challenge for green initiatives is how to frame them in such a
> away that the rich and powerful can get richer from them than from
> things that are less green; that way the green choice will be taken by
> those with the power to make a big difference. In turn, the way we as
> individuals do that is to buy greener products and services and avoid
> those that are less green so the greener ones become more profitable.
>
> Steve.

you got a point there: assuming that the ecosystem is in danger (not knowing) is still better than ignoring the possibility and *oops* kill all mankind in the process.

the problem that i see persists though: when the believers, fools and fundamentalists support a war against air-polluting countries in the name of saving the planet they actually supported death and not life. if you think that this is just some crazy imagination of mine: remember 9/11. many americans realizing it's real suppose now, when it's too late (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry0U7cbPXys). let's not let something like that happen again.

if i have the choice, i'll go green. but it's not something i believe in and it is not something to fight for.

Jan