Re: [LAD] PortAudio experience

From: Kjetil S. Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 13 2010 - 19:20:31 EET

Michael Ost:

> Paul Davis wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Michael Ost <most@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We are considering using PortAudio for Linux hardware support (and
>>> Windows/Mac as well). What's the word on the quality, reliability,
>>> ease-of-programming, latency and performance in Linux?
>>
>> it works. its development seems to be an issue. it will not fix any of
>> the issues that you'd otherwise have to tackle on linux.
>
> Can you say more about that last sentence? I'm not quite getting it.
>
>> however, i'm puzzled: you guys are already running on linux - what are
>> you using now, and why the switch? cross-platform?
>
> Yes, cross platform. I'm investigating Windows/MacOS support. We've got
> our own portability layer, but it's only really implemented for Linux.
>
> BTW - I looked at JACK, but a quick google scan suggests that its not
> quite ready for prime time in Windows.

For what it's worth; Jack on Windows is used for providing sound
in two permanent art installations (http://www.intravisiongroup.com/).

One of them has been running for over two years now. The machines
are rebooted each night, and the oldest one is still using a version of
jack for windows released in 2007.

We've had no problem with jack for windows.