Re: [LAD] Hydrogen and jackmidi

From: Christopher Cherrett <ccherrett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 17 2010 - 15:19:32 EET

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [LAD] Hydrogen and jackmidi
From: m.wolkstein@email-addr-hidden <m.wolkstein@email-addr-hidden>
To: Christopher Cherrett <ccherrett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: 01/17/10 07:01
> Am Sun, 17 Jan 2010 05:30:38 -0700
> schrieb Christopher Cherrett <ccherrett@email-addr-hidden>:
>

>>> hi all,
>>> i am one of two/three active hydrogen developers.
>>> if you want new features or support for newer and of course great linux-audio
>>> technologies. so IMO, please create WORKING patches and submit them to our
>>> dev-mailing-list. than we can check them in.
>>>

>> Are you saying you are not interested in seeing jack-midi make it into
>> hydrogen with your help?
>>

> no, i am interested on all. also on jack midi.
> please don't misunderstand me. in moment jack midi is not my personal priority. what not mean that jack midi is bad ore what ever.
> i have a normal job, children and as most people, few spare time.
> after 2 years developing on h2 and create a lot of code i found out that many people in the whole world have good ideas and are very interested on everything.
> e.g.to write functions or make new technologies working. but after 2-3 weeks mostly they lost their intention and leave a unfinished working place. mostly break up other function and
> all is unusable. this is why i say -make working patches-. i personally like talking about something. but i like it more, if people make tings working what they talk about.
>
> in an open source community we need constructive work. and not destructive discussions
> about thinks which are not possible if nobody work on them.
>
> :)
> greetings wolke
>
>> Is it only developers that get a say by coding something?
>>
>> I code for open source and for a living, I see great value in the needs
>> of the users. It is the only thing that allows an application to grow to
>> a professional level.
>>
>> IMO

I find it very valuable to find out who users are and what they are
doing with the app. I ignore certain users. After all, who likes to
waste time on things that do not get used. So I understand.

Speaking of jack-midi. It is the oly thing that keeps my setup running.
When using alsa midi the slows down and speeds up very bad. I find the
timing in jack midi to be far superior for professional work. When I run
jack midi it would be synced with jack transport running alongside of
900+ midi and audio connections. things get nasty with alsa midi :)

--
http://www.openoctave.org