Re: [LAD] hard realtime performance synth

From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 25 2010 - 20:29:00 EET

On Monday 25 January 2010, Jens M Andreasen wrote:
>On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 09:25 +0000, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>> What 16 thousand million? Who said there was no money in electronic
>> music instruments?
>
>Yes it does sound a bit excessive, doesn't it? According to the same
>website, Roland is selling for $40 billion. This includes their Video
>gear though.
>
>And then again, Yamaha is selling for only $4 billion, which is highly
>surprising compared to the two others?! Did something get lost in
>translation? Are these figures really Taiwan or Hong Kong dollars? Yen?
>
>Roland is publically traded and hence publish their key data, which
>tells us that their sales for 2009 were at ¥100,506,864,000 (Yen!) which
>then again still translates to around a billion US dollars - but nowhere
>near the forty like it was quoted in the link I gave yesterday.
>Sorry ...

Please, don't forget that the audio/video market isn't the only one they are
heavily involved in. My next door neighbor is in the graphic arts business
and supplies probably 50% of the fancy paint and decal business to the race
car owners for a couple of states in all directions, and also makes a large
proportion of the local signage. His tools include a couple of Roland decal
cutters that cost him into the 6th digit to buy, and which still cost him
somewhere in the low 5th digit for maintenance contracts per year. Not to
mention expendables that probably run well towards the 6th digit a year.
So they are worth more than what the audio folks might consider just for what
the audio folks know about them.

>Roland: $1 billion
>http://www.corporateinformation.com/Company-Snapshot.aspx?cusip=C39242560
>
>Yamaha: $4 billion
>http://www.corporateinformation.com/Company-Snapshot.aspx?cusip=C39283560
>
>Kawai: $1/2 billion
>http://www.corporateinformation.com/Company-Snapshot.aspx?cusip=C392AK960
>

>My guess is that KORG would be selling maybe like Kawai? (while of
>course targetting an entirely different market.)
>
>In any case, $16 billion does not sound reasonable.
>

>... And now back to our regular programming:
>
> "How to make useful musical instruments out of the techno-trash others
>have thrown in the dumpster?"

>> > The 290 employees at KORG is raking in a cool $16,419.7 million in
>> > annual sales from their efforts, so they might deviate just slightly
>> > from our most humble opinions.
>> >
>> > :-D
>> >
>> > http://www.hoovers.com/company/Korg_Inc/rfcjhyi-1.html

Cheers, Gene