Re: [LAD] [ANN] MusE 1.0.1

From: alex stone <compose59@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 27 2010 - 14:14:01 EET

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 2:22 AM, Tim E. Real <termtech@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On January 26, 2010 08:33:48 am Robert Jonsson wrote:
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> 2010/1/26 alex stone <compose59@email-addr-hidden>:
>> > Robert, as a note of interest here, is there a reason why Muse only
>> > has 32 midi ports available? Is it possible to increase this at user
>> > level? (I have 65 and counting)
>>
>> 65!  Thats, thats... alot :)
>>
>> Actually the default was recently upped from 16 to 32, thinking that
>> we should cover most uses, apparently we were wrong :-)
>> It's a define so it is possible to change but a recompile is needed,
>> though I recall there were some issues last time...
>> I have forwarded to the devel list if Tim wants to chime in.
> This might be a problem. It's not just the define that sets the number
>  of ports. The ports are used in certain places via an unsigned 32-bit int.
> Each bit corresponds to one port (used, not used etc.)
> So we were lucky to be able to increase from 16 to 32, but
>  beyond that I will have to look at redesigning parts of the ports system.
> Maybe not as tough as it sounds, but not as easy as changing a define...
> I will have a look.
> Tim.

Tim, i wonder, given you might need to rummage around in the code a
bit, if this the time to consider implementing jackmidi in trunk, and
do this once, instead of twice.
I'm no coder, but maybe there's an opportunity in this to take another
big step forward, and not have to go through the same process twice,
given the work already done in the separate branch to provide a
jackmidi framework.

imho.

Alex.

--