[LAD] Some suggestions/guidelines for the LAA posts

From: Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 01 2010 - 05:32:43 EET

Dear fellow LA* members,

As some of you may be aware, instead of a static news page, Linuxaudio.org now has a direct LAA feed as its front page. Consequently, I would like to encourage everyone to please put special care in crafting your LAA posts, meaning much more so than those destined for lau/lad lists, as this is in part what everyone sees when they visit Linuxaudio.org (and if our awstats are any indication < http://stats.linuxaudio.org/cgi-bin/awstats.pl?config=www.linuxaudio.org>, then we do get tons of exposure there that is perhaps more importantly steadily growing). I say this not because there have been some grave offenses recently but rather because I think as a community it would really nice if we collectively put extra attention to this facet that is much considerably "public" than a typical lau/lad post. So, I guess what I am trying to say is perhaps having a post on lau/lad lists mirrored on laa may not be always a good idea.

If I had to single-out one post in there that could use some TLC :-) it would be the call for submissions for the upcoming LAC. Namely, suggesting that there has been little interest may end-up looking like a self-fulfilling prophecy--new and incoming potential contributors to LAC who may have come across this post could be easily discouraged by the way this reads despite the fact we all know that most conference submissions are usually uploaded in the last 72 hours before the submission deadline.

At any rate, don't mean to be preaching, so I hope no one will get offended. And if you do, I guess I owe you a pint (hear that Frank? ;-)

Just my 5-cents worth...

Best wishes,

Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A.
Composition, Music Technology
Director, DISIS Interactive Sound & Intermedia Studio
Director, L2Ork Linux Laptop Orchestra
Assistant Co-Director, CCTAD
CHCI, CS, and Art (by courtesy)
Virginia Tech