Re: [LAD] Has anyone ever played a plugin in realtime ... [related to:] hard realtime performance synth

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de>
Date: Sat Feb 06 2010 - 01:08:32 EET

Hello Emanuel!
   I see, that you've already got some answers, here's mine though.
   I have a 1.8GHz CPU, OK I run NO GUI at all, yet still. I play all my music
"live". I play sessions with LinuxSampler (big pianos and all), I also record
them that way, so the harddisk recorder is running at the same time. I used
ZynAddSubFX's mini text-UI live, hydrogen, Fluidsynth with up to 200MB
soundfonts and I even did a bit of csound playing live with a soprano voice
emulation, so that's quite far from simple analogue.
   I could also do LinuxSampler with jconv running with some referb without
problems. Admittedly, sometimes - when I had bad kernels - it wouldn't work
that well. But now I have a 2.6.30 kernel, self-compiled, and everything is
fine so far.
   I hope that somehow encourages you to go on. I know of others even using a
couple of VSTIs at the same time, wiring them into Ardour and the like. So
it's most certainly a question of kernel and settings and maybe taking a look
at all the processes running, and which of them might be unnecessary. I've
also seen, that my system installed a good deal of software, which I never
needed, some of it daemons running all the time.
   Kindly and encouraginly yours
            Julien

--------

http://ltsb.sourceforge.net