Re: [LAD] X Window Midi Arp Toy

From: james morris <james@email-addr-hidden-art.net>
Date: Thu Feb 11 2010 - 17:54:45 EET

On 11/2/2010, "james morris" <james@email-addr-hidden-art.net> wrote:

>I think this has some potential if it were realized as an application
>with it's own window space and dedicated widgets rather than as a bash
>script utilizing xterms and window-manager window-placement. It maps the
>positions of the popup xterms to note-pitch and note-velocity.

Just one or two questions as there's no response to this from the three
lists I've sent it to. I'm just being impatient, but not critical of
the lack of response, and seeking some feedback about similar existing
systems if any (which is something I'd not put as much consideration
into when I originally posted this).

Is this the type of thing which Pure Data and other graphical/audio
programming tools can do fairly readily? PD is something I've never
used and so am not aware of what can be or has been done with it. Are
there implementations of this type of thing in PD etc?

Would creating an standalone app in C/C++ therefor be a waste of time?

I've several ideas about what such an app would look like, and what
further functionality could be developed using this concept (ie scales,
split windows, choords, patterns, etc).

To me this seems like a good idea for a sequencer/arpeggiator with a
(very?0 different approach and I still think it has potential. Prove me
wrong if you will.

Cheers,
James.

p.s. the BASH script, should be viewed as a very rough prototype
implementation with regard to the development of such an app.