Re: [LAD] Canonical sound position opening

From: Ray Rashif <schivmeister@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 14 2010 - 10:51:06 EET

On 14 February 2010 00:52, nescivi <nescivi@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hiho,
>
> On Thursday 11 February 2010 11:54:50 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Forwind info wrote:
>> > Ralf, simply turn off autospawn for pulse if it bothers you that much.
>> >
>> >  /etc/pulse/client.conf
>> >
>> > the line that looks like
>> > ; autospawn=yes
>> >
>> > change it to
>> > autospawn = no
>> >
>> > This will turn off pulseaudio so as the next time you start up, pulse
>> > will not run and you will need to start it manually from command line
>> > if you want to use it.
>> >
>> > IMHO pulse is coming along nicely. There are tweaks to improve its
>> > performance ...
>
> I guess the point is that whoever gets/takes this job, will gain a lot of
> respect from the professional audio community (like LAD), using apps with JACK
> for their audio work, but also listening to audio online and through consumer
> apps from time to time, would be really happy if all this works "out-of-the-
> box" on Ubuntu, or if there is a simple way to configure it to do so, without
> having to dig into the conf files by themselves.
>
> Our hope is of course to make it as easy as possible to have people already
> using their free software for desktop use, also step over and use their
> desktops not just for listening to music, but also for making music. Giving
> everyone the freedom to express themselves!

I think this position has less to do with "professional" audio and
more to do with desktop/mainstream/consumer audio, i.e to ensure
proper planning with the audio and multimedia subsystem of the Ubuntu
operating system according to tried and tested "standards" with
regards to sound and the Linux kernel + userland tools/programs. But
of course, there can be good byproducts if the person hired is equally
good.

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD