Re: [LAD] Trying to understand Jack Midi, (Arpage, Dino)

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 15 2010 - 22:49:37 EET

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Nick Copeland
<nickycopeland@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 1:31 PM,  <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> > So the solution would be a separate thread that receives
>> > MIDI all the time and not just at the start of a cycle ?
>>
>> <paul@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> a2jmidid already implements this, and i have working internal JACK
>> clients based on it that do the same.
>
> Is this MIDI thread just internal to Jack or is it the audio client that
> needs the
> extra thread?

for a2jmidid, its just an extra thread in that client.
for my spinoff of this, its an extra thread in the server.

in case does it involve extra threads in normal JACK clients. JACK
MIDI data is passed around in JACK ports via process(), same as audio.

this merely concerns the points where MIDI data enters and leaves the
JACK graph for uncharted territory (e.g. ALSA sequencer, CoreMIDI, etc
etc)