Re: [LAD] CV data protocol in apps.

From: alex stone <compose59@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 18 2010 - 12:38:40 EET

2010/2/18 Julien 'Lta' BALLET <elthariel@email-addr-hidden>:
> Hello,
>
> That's true, this isn't new at all. but it has been lost for some
> times in the audio world in favor of midi, mainly afaik because too
> much cables just drives people crazy :)
>
> But actually, implementing it perfectly it jack apps may cost a lot if
> your control rate is the same as the audio rate (for example computing
> a filter coefs 96000 times per second). I think a new type of 'audio'
> port having only a sample per period could be a simple and handy
> solution to this (one of the problem may be when you connect more than
> one cv to a port, mixing CV isn't necessarily the thing we want to do)
>
> Anyway, CV is still, even after 50 year, a really nice way of
> controlling audio parameters, and would be kind of a good solution for
> mapping lv2 control ports to jack ports.
>
> Regards,
> Lta.
>
> 2010/2/18 Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden-hochschule.de>:
>> On 02/18/2010 10:54 AM, alex stone wrote:
>>> As a power user who's modestly (just kidding) keen on saving time,
>>> using great workflow, and avoiding as much of the drudgery of editing
>>> work over and over again to get an end result as is possible, i've had
>>> the privilege and pleasure of testing and working with a data protocol
>>> called CV, or control voltage, in these last 2 weeks.
>>
>> funny to call CV a "protocol" - it's been around since the 60s, and just
>> describes the fact that a given processing unit reacts to an incoming
>> voltage rather than a knob.
>>
>> at first, i wasn't quite sure if you're joking... but yes, it's very
>> convenient, just totally not new :)
>>
>> much like a "one midi command per wire, running status on" architecture.
>>
>> compared to ardour's automation tracks (which are somewhat difficult to
>> use), what does non-mixer do that's better?
>> comparing midi and cv is apples and oranges imho.

> --
> BALLET Julien
> Head of LabFree,  Free software laboratory of Epitech
> Phone : 01 53 14 59 32 || 06 17 32 86 93.
> Mail : <j.ballet@email-addr-hidden> -- <elthariel@email-addr-hidden>
> Web : http://www.labfree.org/

Yes, good point in here about patching, Julien. It took me a little
while to build a template, but once it was done, jack_snapshot does
the heavy lifting so i don't have to.

I'm using a lot of CV ports to handle a big orchestral setup, though i
don't seem to notice additional overhead.

Alex.

--
www.openoctave.org
midi-subscribe@email-addr-hidden