Re: [LAD] CV data protocol in apps.

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 19 2010 - 17:29:39 EET

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 02:55:51PM +0000, Simon Jenkins wrote:

> If the user sends a 20khz sine wave into an application's
> "volume" port that's either their mistake, or its exactly
> what they wanted to do.

If that is what they want to do they should use the right
tool, wich would be ring modulator in a synth. I'd expect
synths to use audio rate controls at least for some units,
even if in almost all cases 1/16 would be enough.

If a 'normal' audio app with a volume control (e.g. a mixer)
would actually accept a 20kHz sine wave as a control signal
then I'd consider it to be of extremely low quality and bad
design. The same app would happily add any noise present on
its controls to its signals and I wouldn't trust it for any
serious work. It's sort the software equivalent of using
cheap low-quality analog faders.

Ciao,

--
FA