Re: [LAD] CV data protocol in apps.

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden-hochschule.de>
Date: Fri Feb 19 2010 - 20:37:06 EET

On 02/19/2010 05:40 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Simon Jenkins
> <sjenkins@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> I'm reading "CV input" as "invitation to modulate" and, yes,
>> sometimes it makes no sense to modulate at the full audio rate, but
>> sometimes it does. I'm just not sure a special and predetermined
>> 1/16th or whatever control rate is worth the effort (and might even
>> be a performance hit in some cases) for the reasons I described
>> when I entered this thread.
>
> my feeling precisely. the storage issue is an interesting one, but
> not clearly an imperative. i do think that a general purpose event
> data type would be useful.

goes to show that you shouldn't call automation data "CV", because it
gives people the wrong ideas (hell, even my mailer is getting confused
and thinks i should be attaching a file :-D)

there are synths, and there is parameter automation. using the latter
for amplitude modulation in the 20-20k band is just not a very good
idea, and should not influence a design discussion...