Re: [LAD] midi beat clock

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 20 2010 - 02:51:58 EET

On 02/20/2010 12:40 AM, m.wolkstein@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> for more information's read here.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI_beat_clock
>
> my question, exist something like this for alas. i am interested to send midi beat clock
> signals from hydrogen to external hardware synthesisers/arpeggiators. and i am explicit
> not interested to sync them to any timecode. because the external machines have to run
> independent and in a randomly order. they only have to sync there beats.
>
> here the mbc specs.
> midi beat clock defines the following real time messages:
> * clock (decimal 248, hex 0xF8)
> * tick (decimal 249, hex 0xF9)
> * start (decimal 250, hex 0xFA)
> * continue (decimal 251, hex 0xFB)
> * stop (decimal 252, hex 0xFC)

this is all about midi clock and song position pointer (spp) events.

question is: which devices, hw or sw, are there that sync to midi clock?
i'm afraid there's none.

but wait, there are some that respond to spp: ardour, qtractor,... maybe
many others ;)

> and about ticks.
> i fond out that linux audio apps all have other or there own definitions about the quantity of ticks per beat.
> make it sense to find out an accordance about ticks per beat. or is this irrelevant for any syncing. especially i mean here syncing via jack-transport.

that's also called "midi resolution", usually expressed in
"ticks-per-beat" or "pulses/ticks-per-quarter-note" (ppqn/tpqn).

i have this dogma, and please have a note, that in midi realm, a "beat"
do translate to "quarter-note", "semiquaver", "seminima", etc. no matter
which time signature you're into.

ppl holding strong or deeper music (tempo) theory should come forward now ;)

cheers

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc@email-addr-hidden