Re: [LAD] midi beat clock

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sat Feb 20 2010 - 18:03:05 EET

Arnout Engelen wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 01:14:37PM +0100, m.wolkstein@email-addr-hidden wrote:
>
>> hydrogen will support midi clock as slave and master.
>> as slave hydrogen receives:
>> midi clock (0xF8) 24midi clocks in every quarter note,
>> midi start (0xFA),
>> midi stop (0xFC),
>> midi continue (0xFB),
>> to snap to songpositions if status is stop h2 get position informations via song position
>> pointer(spp) (0xF2).
>>

> the MIDI stuff could be implemented as a separate JACK application

As a user with lots of MIDI equipment from the 80ies, I would prefer a
separated JACK application doing this. It's not only for Linux, but for
all computers and stand alone equipment that MIDI sync among some
combinations of applications and/or hardware is ok, while it isn't ok
among other combinations, e.g because of master and slave issues and
sometimes just because of voodoo.

If Linux apps would use JACK transport the coders only would have to
take care to handle this. Just having on app doing sync among JACK and
eternal MIDI would reduce the risk of trouble. Btw. MTC should be part
of such an app too ... I didn't read the whole thread, perhaps this was
mentioned before.

Just a note by an user, becuase of "the MIDI stuff could be implemented
as a separate JACK application": Full ACK.