Re: [LAD] Jack port alias names

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 22 2010 - 22:59:25 EET

On Monday 22 February 2010 21:24:58 Tim E. Real wrote:
> On February 22, 2010 02:56:50 pm Paul wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Tim E. Real <termtech@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > > Good day...
> > >
> > > Just coming to grips working with and learning the alias system...
> > >
> > > Under what conditions might a Jack port not have any alias names?
> > > When might I expect to encounter that situation?
> >
> > You should never assume the existence of any aliases.
>
> Back to the drawing board. I thought that was the exception not the rule.
> So there's no way to tell if a Jack system port actually belongs to (our
> own) ALSA client?
> I guess there's nothing technically wrong with listing our own ALSA ports.
> Bizarre - It would allow feeding the app's own ALSA ports back into
> the app as Jack midi ports. Might have its uses...

That is what you get for mixing systems.

But why do you as a developer care about that? Surely its the users
responsibility? And the users will know which jack-midi-to-alsa-midi bridge
they use and how this names the ports? (Don't try to be smarter then the user,
its never working out correctly.)

But why is your app giving midi-ports both for jack and alsa at the same time?

Have fun,

Arnold