Re: [LAD] wanted: good online reading material for RT audio/midi software design?

From: James Morris <james@email-addr-hidden-art.net>
Date: Wed Mar 03 2010 - 04:10:20 EET

On Mon, March 1, 2010 02:10, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 8:01 PM, James Morris <james@email-addr-hidden-art.net> wrote:
>
>> the pointer assignment is not atomic though is it?
>
> there are atomic pointer swap instructions on almost all platforms,
> and various "portable" wrappers for them. glib has them, jack's
> atomic.h (copied from ...hmm, portaudio? maybe?) has them etc. etc.

I've worded that question badly. The following quote answers the question
I meant to ask:

(from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Read_copy_update )

"RCU-based updaters typically take advantage of the fact that writes to
single aligned pointers are atomic on modern CPUs, allowing atomic
insertion, removal, and replacement of data items."

james.

But how modern is a modern CPU!?