[LAD] TASCAM US-1641

From: Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 15 2010 - 02:46:09 EET

I finally couldn't resist anymore so I bought a TASCAM US-1641. At $299
it's hard to pass up. OK, so now the fun part. I loaded (shudder)
Windows and I've got Cubase 4 LE with the latest driver (2.00) and
firmware (1.02). I realize that there is no driver for the 1641 on
Linux. I've got a ton of programming experience (including some hard
real-time work) but I've never written a driver for Linux. I have no
idea where to start. I've read the following pages:

http://www.reactivated.net/weblog-content/20050806-reverse-0.2.txt
http://www.linux-usb.org/
http://www.lrr.in.tum.de/Par/arch/usb/usbdoc/
http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~smimram/tascam/

I'm assuming that since ALSA is part of the kernel now I'll have to
compile my own kernel to play with things. If there's another way I'd
sure like to know about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If
anyone has any advice to help me get started you can either post it here
or send to me off list (that will at least save everyone else from
having to wade through all of my ignorant questions ;-) I may not be
able to figure this out but at least I'll give it the old college try.

Cheers,
Jan