Re: [LAD] automation on Linux (modular approach)

From: rosea grammostola <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 19 2010 - 11:17:01 EET

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 9:28 AM, cal <cal@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> rosea grammostola wrote:
> > [ ... ]
> > All though... it appears that there are at least two existing problems
> > right now:
> >
> > 1. Zynaddsubfx/ yoshimi and probably other standalone synths, doesn't
> > have an very good midi mapping.
> > 2. Non-Mixer doesn't support LV2 (they are working on dssi, they
> > support ladspa) and they are not planning to do so.
> >

> > About point 1, it would be nice if the developers of standalone
> > application make automation / midi mapping as good as possible. PHASEX
> > seems to be a good example.
>
> In this context, it might help if you could define "as good as possible".
> A common trait among oss developers is that they'll first build what they
> want and need, then consider extending further when presented with feature
> requests that offer worthwhile value to the general body of users, and
> often more importantly, to the dev(s) in question. If you really want
> something to change, you'll probably need to spell it out fairly
> specifically. Then, you'll usually find there's a good chance of it
> happening. But then oss development often reminds me of a sign on the back
> wall of a second-hand VW parts place I used to frequent (a lot!) - "Price
> may vary according to customer attitude!"
>
> cheers, Cal

Hehe, my concern here is the quality of Linux audio especially when it comes
to the modular approach and automation. I quoted a guy who has pretty some
experience in a studio and with automation I assume. But don't ask me how
you should do it, cause I'm the last person who is capable of telling you
how it should be in this area ;)

But of course it would be nice if such a fine app as zynaddsubfx/ yoshimi
is, to have good automation possibilities. If you want, you can start an
topic for suggestions. Or talk to the phasex or ams devs.

Kind regards,

\r