Re: [LAD] automation on Linux (modular approach)

From: alex stone <compose59@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 19 2010 - 11:38:56 EET

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Guys, because I am not a programmer, what I would ask might sound silly, but
> again - might not.
>
> We are all speaking about automation and about each individual DAW being
> able to provide it.
>
> Do you think it is possible to develop a modular standard of automation?
> Certain signals an app would send to other programms and automate regardless
> of what app it is. So that automation has a sort of a universal format,
> standard. And then it would be easier to bring automation to the modular
> world.
>
> Louigi.

Louigi,
In an ideal world this would be feasible.
But when there are many types of use case, and mature apps are already
coded with different formats, it'll be quite a task to bring something
like this to fruition.
Add to that the various ideas for and against those differing formats,
and the task becomes near impossible.

Nice thought, and i've been wishing for the same, but reality may see
this as a step too far, given the passion with which devs and users
will defend their particular corner.
Like you, i see automation stream management as a basic function at
the foundation of any working environment, for our field, and in
particular, for the modular nature of linux audio.

I think the toughest part of this would be for apps whose devs have
chosen to write for multi architectures. As long as users are plugged
into using jack, in Linux, win, and mac, then there's a window of
opportunity, but outside of the commonality that is jack, then
aligning formats becomes a formidable task.

If not using Jack, then i'm not sure you'll ever see this come to
life. Midi as a format is ok (it's all we have in most cases), but it
does have it's llmitations.

A hard call i think.

Alex.

--